Much like in a web browser, Postbox tabs provide an easy-to-get-to place for messages, folders, Focus Pane setups, searches, or content such as attachments and images. You can quickly switch between tabs, or even reorder tabs to customize your view.
Working with Tabs
Opening a New Message Into a Tab
When you double-click a message in a message list, Postbox opens the message in a new tab (this setting can also be changed to windows within the Preferences/Options pane).
You can also open a message into a tab by selecting the message in the message list and pressing the right-hand arrow on your keyboard. (Type option-command/alt-left arrow to return to the previous tab.)
To Open a Folder, Message in the Message List, or Focus Pane Selection in a New Tab
You can create a "foreground" tab that opens immediately, or a "background" tab for later use.
- To create a new foreground tab — Right-click the folder, message, or Focus Pane topic, and select Open in New Tab from the contextual menu.
- To create a new background tab — While holding down the option key, right-click the folder, message, or Focus Pane topic, and select Open in New Tab from the contextual menu.
Navigating Between Tabs
Of course, you can click on a tab to bring it forward. You can also use your keyboard:
- To move forward through your tabs, type control-tab.
- To move backward through your tabs, type control-shift-tab.
Understanding Tab Labels
Here's how Postbox identifies each tab:
- A message tab — is labeled with its message's subject.
- A folder tab — is labeled with labeled with the currently selected account, followed by the folder's name.
- A Focus Pane tab — is labeled with the currently selected account, followed by your Focus Pane selection(s).
About Tab Persistance
By default, Postbox remembers the set of mail, folder and calendar tabs you had open when you last quit Postbox and it restores these tabs.
If you prefer to have Postbox start up without restoring any tabs:
- Go to Postbox (OS X)/Tools (Windows) > Preferences/Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor.
- Type in mailnews.sessionstore.enabled
- Toggle its value to false.