Summarize and Quote Mode
Postbox's "Summarize" visually cleans up e-mail threads, making them easier to read.
When you reply or forward a message in HTML mode, Postbox will quote the entire conversation in a simple, easy to read format. This allows the recipients of messages you send to enjoy Postbox's clean and professional-looking reformatting.
You can use Quote toolbar button to switch back to the standard format, and the Summarize toolbar button to switch back to the summarize reply format.
You can set the default summarize behavior (Quote, Summarize or last used) on a per identity basis under Preferences > Accounts > [account name] > Composition.
Summarize can be disabled for all accounts by replying to a message and pressing the Quote toolbar button to switch to the standard view. Because all identities default to the last used summarize setting, this action will cause all of your identities to default to the traditional view.
By default, Postbox will summarize (at most) five messages, with the newest messages first when summarizing. To change these behaviors, go to Preferences > Composition > Advanced.
You can also set the summarize order to display either the oldest or newest messages first.
Summarize is proactive about gathering the messages it needs from the Sent folder. Additionally, if you would like the Postbox indexer to look for new messages within a storage folder (so that they can appear in Summarize), then simply right-click the folder, select Properties… from the contextual menu, and select Check this folder for new messages. This has the side benefit of improving Conversation View, particularly if you do a lot of server-side filtering.
By default, Forward acts the same as Reply. If you want to change the default behavior just for forward and not reply (i.e. you want to turn summarize off for replies but on for forward):
- Open Config Editor.
- Paste mail.identity.default.forward_quoting_style into the "Filter" textbox.
- Double-click on mail.identity.default.forward_quoting_style to change the value to one of the following:
0 - forward just the selected message
1 - forward the entire conversation
2 - use the same settings as reply
More tips for using Summarize
- You can more narrowly focus a Summarized Reply by first selecting an individual message in Conversation View (a blue outline will glow around the selected message) before clicking the Reply button.
- You can set the default summarize behavior (Quote, Summarize or last used) on a per identity basis under Preferences or Options > Accounts > [your desired account] > Composition and setting the preference for Automatically quote the original message when replying… By.
- You can control whether profile pictures are included in Summarized Replies on a per identity basis by going to Preferences or Options / Accounts / [your desired account] / Composition and setting the preference for Include contact pictures for each participant when summarizing.
- You can control the number of messages to be included in Summarized Replies by going to Preferences or Options / Composition / Advanced and setting the preference to Include at most # messages when summarizing. On this panel, you can also set a preference to display either the oldest or newest messages first.
- Finally, if you wish to not use Summarize, simply toggle the Quote button in the toolbar. Postbox will default to the last preference selected for all future emails. Click the Summarize button in the toolbar to revert back.