Do you need to migrate messages?
A key question is whether you need to manually migrate messages at all. Please note the following:
- If your account is using IMAP, then you do not need to manually migrate since Postbox will download all of your folders and mail for you.
- If your account is using POP or POP3, then Postbox can download messages from your Inbox. Messages in other folders will need to be manually migrated.
- Messages stored on your local machine will need to be manually migrated.
Read and Unread Status
Messages that are manually imported into Postbox will be marked as "unread" by default. If preserving the read/unread status is important to you, then you'll want to break up your export process by messages that are read vs. unread. More detailed instructions are outlined below in the section titled "Preserving Read/Unread Status".
Import email from Entourage to Postbox
- Please Quit Postbox if it is currently running.
- In Entourage, drag each folder you would like to import into Postbox to the following location: [your home folder]/Library/Application Support/PostboxApp/Profiles/[your profile]/Mail/Local Folders/.
- Start Postbox. Your mail will now be found in the Local Folders account, within a folder that has the same name as your saved file.
Preserving Read/Unread Status
- In Entourage, you'll need to separate your read from unread messages in the folders that are important to you. For this example, we'll use the Inbox.
- Create a new folder called "Inbox read", and another folder called "Inbox unread".
- Sort your messages by read and unread status by clicking on the "dot" in the column header.
- Go to your Inbox and Copy your read messages to "Inbox read", and Copy your unread messages to "Inbox unread".
- Drag the "Inbox read" and "Inbox unread" folders to the following location: [your home folder]/Library/Application Support/PostboxApp/Profiles/[your profile]/Mail/Local Folders/.
- Start Postbox. Select the folder that contains your read messages, then choose Select and then All from the Edit menu. From the Message menu, select Mark and then As Read.
- You can now combine the contents of the read/unread messages into a single folder. You can also rename the folder by selecting it, then selecting Rename Folder from the File menu.