Before using the BETA, please make sure you thoroughly read and understand the contents of the Postbox 7 BETA Read Me.
- macOS 10.13 or macOS 10.14 (macOS 10.15 betas are not supported at this time)
- Windows 8 or Windows 10
BETA 7 Release Notes
- Multiple selected messages now display a message count in the preview area
- Preview area background will now display a theme color
- Improved the logic that drives normal message display vs. dark mode display
- Fixed several formatting issues with Clips
BETA 6 Release Notes
- Improvements to text luminance for dark mode themes
- Improved theme styling
- Added OAuth2 (Yahoo) to the account settings page
- Localization of new filter actions
- Fixed a crash that could occur when parsing attachments
- Fixed an issue with scam detection connectivity
- There's an updated version of OpenPGP support from the Enigmail team available here
- Postbox is crashing due to a macOS 10.15 Catalina bug, which will be fixed when Apple releases beta 6.
BETA 5 Release Notes
- Improved Dark Mode
- Theme updates
- Removed the default preference for composition background color
BETA 4 Release Notes
- Styling improvements – we now have over a dozen themes to choose from. However, due to structural changes, you may need to reselect your theme upon launching BETA 4
- Changed font sizes from points to pixels in the compose window, which may require that you change your default composition size
- Increased line-height for composition and display.
- Fixed an issue that caused excess CPU while Postbox was at rest
- The sidebar doesn't properly display in the Ultramarine theme on Windows.
BETA 3 Release Notes
Our theme work has progressed significantly, and we have successfully refactoring most of our UI code to support themes. In future BETAs, we will focus more on the final styling.
- Gmail labeling now works similarly to Topic assignment in the Quick Bar, and you can now assign multiple labels at once
- Changed delete behavior for Google accounts to better mirror what Gmail does on the web
- Improved the options for remote image loading
- Improved icon display when using different resolutions on Windows
- Added preference to MIME encode 8-bit headers to fix Yahoo character issues
- Added Import/Export Tools to the Labs whitelist, which can be downloaded from here
- Implemented preference to hide/show signatures in conversation view
- Fixed an issue where selected attachments in compose would not deselect when clicking in the message body
- Fixed an issue that would prevent the Labs panel from functioning when a non-English locale was selected
- Fixed an issue that could cause read receipts to not display
- Fixed an issue that could prevent attachments from displaying
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Identity panel from appearing in Preferences
- Fixed a regression that prevented Spotlight from indexing messages on macOS
- The release notes in the updater will still point to 6.1.18
- Some scrollbar issues on macOS
BETA 2 Release Notes
We've implemented a framework for Theme support in Postbox. While the Theme mechanisms are in place for BETA 2, note that Theme design is still very much a work in progress.
Standard Light and Dark modes have been implemented, but you may notice some regressions or glitches that weren't there before (for example, we know that the Windows hover menus are dark, and we'll get that fixed).
Other themes can be selected, but for BETA 2 you'll only see copies of the Light and Dark themes. The test theme, "Noir," does contain some differences, so feel free to try that theme out.
A full suite of dark and light themes are currently being developed and will be available in the next BETA release.
Like Signatures and Responses, we've included a suite of example Clips that you can use in your messages, including:
- checked bullets
- numbered bullets
- description list
- horizontal rules
- image blocks
- social follow blocks
- text blocks
To access Custom Clips, open the Compose window, make sure the Clips button is added to the Toolbar, press and hold the Clips button, then select Custom Clips from the menu.
- Implemented TCP keepalive to improve connections
- Tables now inherit the default font size in the composer
- Fixed an issue where messages forwarded as attachment contained the wrong display name
- Fixed an issue that could prevent the Identities panel from functioning normally
- Fixed an issue that would prevent addressing autocomplete if Gravatar was turned off
- Fixed an issue that caused avatars to duplicate in the Compose Sidebar if Gravatar was turned off
- The release notes in the updater will still point to 6.1.18.
- Windows menu hovers are dark, and there are several other UI glitches introduced by Themes.
- Enter key doesn't work for auto-complete in the addressing widget
- Themes are a work in progress
BETA 1 Release Notes
Clips let you quickly insert pre-formatted blocks of HTML into your messages. It works similarly to Responses and Signatures, but Clips have two additional capabilities:
- Clips can insert CSS into the <head> region of a message
- A default Clip can be used per identity when new messages are composed
This means that you can now create sophisticated newsletters, brand templates, or stationary and use them as needed or by default per identity.
Theoretically, any email template that you can create or find on the web can now be used in Postbox.
Similar to add-ons, our Labs feature will allow for experimental 3rd-party code to be used within Postbox.
The first Labs project will be OpenPGP support provided by a specially designed version of Enigmail for Postbox and can be enabled under the Tools menu (remember to add the appropriate buttons to the Compose window toolbar).
Unlike add-ons which can be arbitrarily installed, only a select number of Labs projects will be available for Postbox. Given that Labs projects contain 3rd-party experimental code, they are not officially supported by Postbox, Inc.
If there's a 3rd-party solution you would like to see in Postbox, contact the 3rd-party developer directly. Please do not contact Postbox asking us to support code we do not develop, thanks! 👍
Cloud File Sharing for Business
By popular demand, we've added two new services to our Cloud File Sharing feature:
- Dropbox for Business
- OneDrive for Business
New Swipe Gestures on macOS
We've created a new swipe mechanism on macOS that will provide better feedback for four commonly used actions:
- 1/2 swipe left = Archive
- full swipe left = Reminder
- 1/2 swipe right = Junk
- full swipe right = Delete
The swipe actions work on a "swipe-n-hold" basis. Swipe until the desired action is displayed, hold, then let go once the swipe action "activates." This usage pattern was designed to prevent accidental swipes from performing an action.
Currently, this feature is available on macOS only. Sorry Windows users, we really tried to get this working on Windows, but the number of different devices, drivers and OS limitations was simply insurmountable. We may try again, we'll see.
This works similarly to Quick Move but copies the message to the desired folder instead of moving it. The keyboard shortcut "c" will bring up the Quick Bar, and from there you can type the name of the folder you wish to copy the message to.
Gmail Labeling Mechanism
We've created a new mechanism for Gmail labeling that mirrors the actions used for Quick Move, Quick Switch, and Quick Copy. Type the "l" key to bring up the Quick Bar, then autocomplete against the desired label name.
Note that there is a desire by the product team to make this function similarly to Topics so that multiple labels can be added at one time. Stay tuned for further developments on this as they become available.
Highlight & Strikethrough in Compose
The compose formatting toolbar now supports text strikethrough and highlighting.
New Filter Actions
We've added three more filter actions:
- Add Prefix to Subject
- Add Suffix to Subject
- Add Sender to Address List
- Improved Gravatar Support
- Date Pickers in the Search Bar
- Alphabetical sorting of Topics in the editor panel
- vCards can now be imported to the Address Book by double-clicking on them
- Improved styling for vCard display
- Various UI improvements (with more to come)
- Fixed an issue that could cause URLs with line breaks in them to not open in a browser
- Fixed an issue that could cause messages to not be Marked as Read after deleting when the Preview Pane is closed
- Fixed an issue that could prevent child messages from being selected when the message preview pane is closed
- Fixed an issue when contextual-clicking non-selected messages and performing actions, the selector didn’t return to the previously selected message
- Fixed an issue when contextual-clicking non-selected messages and performing actions, the action would be performed on the previously selected message
- Fixed an issue when the default send server was not being respected when clicking on an email address in the contact card
- Fixed an issue when using arrow keys to select contacts in the addressing auto-complete widget
- Fixed an issue that could cause sort order to get reset after a file or image search
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Task Bar icon to reset during updates on Windows
- Fixed an issue that could cause duplicate .ics file icons to display
- Fixed an issue with the Account Wizard where ymail.com accounts were not recognized as Yahoo accounts
- Fixed an issue that wouldn’t allow multiple messages to be set as Reminder at once
- Fixed an issue with addressing messages from the Compose Sidebar recent contacts list
- Fixed an issue where image attributes were not preserved when selecting a different image during message composition
- Fixed an issue to prevent files stored in the clipboard to be added during a drag and drop action in the Compose window
If you find a bug or have feedback to share, please visit our Postbox 7 BETA Feedback page. Thanks!