Tips to Reduce Hard Drive Usage
Here are some tips on how to reduce the amount of hard drive space for mail:
- If you are on IMAP, unsubscribe from folders that are infrequently used by selecting "Subscribe..." from File menu.
- Delete older messages that are no longer needed.
- Empty your Trash and Junk folders.
- Periodically compact your folders by selecting "Compact Folders" from the File menu. Additionally, you can set thresholds for when folders should be automatically compressed by going to Preferences|Options / Advanced / Network & Disk Space / and set a lower number for compacting.
- You can prevent message bodies from being indexed on an account-by-account basis. Go to Preferences|Options / Accounts / [your account] / Local Storage and deselect indexing for message bodies.
Additionally, if you are using Gmail:
- Limit the number of messages that appear in IMAP folders. This can be adjusted at Gmail on the Web / Settings / Forwarding and IMAP tab / Folder Size Limits. Try setting these limits to a smaller number.
- Unsubscribe from the Gmail "Important" folder if you are not actively using that label.
- Consider unsubscribing from the All Mail folder, and use a different folder for Archiving.
- Consider using Postbox Topics instead of Postbox Labels, as each time you use a Gmail Label it creates another copy of the message in Postbox.