Links not opening in the browser or two windows opening on click
If links are not opening up in the browser, or if two tabs/windows are opening on each click, here are few things to try:
Reset your default browser
Change your default browser to another browser and then change it back. In some scenarios after a browser update, the OS setting for the default browser fails to get updated.
Make sure Postbox is set to use your system default
- Open the Preferences window.
- (Mac) On the menu bar, open the Postbox menu, and go to Preferences.
- (Windows) On the menu bar, open the Tools menu, and go to Options.
- Select the Advanced panel, and make sure the General tab is selected.
- Click on Config Editor.
- Click on I'll be careful, I promise.
- In the Filter field, paste the following preference: network.protocol-handler.external-default
- Right-click on the row for that preference, and select Reset.
- Repeat the previous two steps for the following preferences:
Certain add ons (like ThunderBrowse) can leave these hidden prefs in the wrong state after uninstall.
- Go to the ThunderBrowse website and download the latest version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/thunderbrowse/
- Open Postbox, and go to Tools > Add-ons, and click the action button at the top right corner to install it.
- Once it's installed, restart Postbox.
- Go back to Tools > Add-ons and click the Preferences button next to ThunderBrowse
- In the resulting window, click the Links tab, and check the option to Disable ThunderBrowse link loading.
- Click a link and verify that it now loads in your default browser.
- Disable/Uninstall ThunderBrowse, and restart Postbox to make sure links still open in your default browser