Setting Postbox up with Windows @live.com, @hotmail.com and @outlook.com
Setting Postbox up to work with Windows @live.com, @hotmail.com and @outlook.com email accounts
- In Postbox, go to File > New > Mail Account.
- Enter your full name in the Your Name field.
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org address in the Email Address field
- Enter description in the Description field (can be anything).
- Enter your email account password in the Password field.
- Click Continue.
- You are now back at the Account Settings screen. If Postbox automatically pulls POP settings when setting up Hotmail account, change them to IMAP with the following:
Incoming (IMAP) Server
- User name: Your email address
- Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com
- Port: 993
- Encrypted Connection: SSL
Outgoing (SMTP) Server
- Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
- Port: 587
- Authentication: Yes
- Encrypted Connection: STARTTLS
Note: While we strongly recommend using IMAP, shall you need to setup your account over POP, please make sure to enable POP access on Outlook.com under Settings > Accounts > POP and IMAP. Hotmail accounts setup over POP in Postbox must have password of 16 characters or less. This is a limitation of the Hotmail service itself, even though you can use passwords longer than 16 characters when using Hotmail's webmail interface.
If you are using Two-Step Verification, then you must generate an app password for Postbox.
Go to the security settings for your Microsoft account at https://account.live.com/p (you will be prompted to login).
Scroll down to the App passwords section (which will only appear if you are using Two-Step Verification), and click on "Create a new password."
Use this password within the Postbox setup wizard.
Helpful links at Windows