posted this on April 11, 2012 09:34 am
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to trouble-shoot Postbox. Please follow each step in sequence.
1) Use the Trouble-Shooting Panel
Postbox 3.0.2 and later contains a new Trouble-Shooting panel to help address issues you may be experiencing with Postbox. Go to the Help menu and select Trouble Shooting..., and then select one or more of these options:
Safe Mode - This disables all add-ons and custom settings.
Permanently Disable all Add-ons - this eliminates the possibility that a 3rd party add-on is causing issues with Postbox.
Reset User Interface - If Postbox windows are not displaying properly, selecting this option will reset the interface.
Reset Search Index - This removes the search index, so you will want to select Tools / Indexing / Index All Messages after restart.
Check ALL options and restart Postbox. Do the problems persist? If so, move to the next step.
2) Temporarily Turn-Off Anti-Virus Programs
Sometimes anti-virus programs will not allow Postbox to create new files. Try turning off any anti-virus programs temporarily, then see if Postbox will then operate normally. If so, investigate ways to exclude Postbox from being checked by the anti-virus program.
3) Create a New Profile
A useful diagnostic step is to see if an issue goes away within a new profile:
1) Quit or exit Postbox so that it is no longer running.
2) Launch the Profile Manager:
Windows From the Windows "Start" menu, choose "Run" (this is "Start Search" on Windows Vista") then type in the following: postbox.exe -ProfileManager
Mac OS X Launch Terminal on the Mac - Applications / Utilities / Terminal and then paste in the following: /Applications/Postbox.app/Contents/MacOS/postbox-bin -profilemanager
3) Use the Profile Manager to create a new profile. Make sure that the "Don't ask at startup" checkbox is NOT checked.
4) Next, set up a sample IMAP account. Do NOT install any Add-ons!
Sometimes there are issues external to Postbox which are causing it to malfunction. For example, anti-virus or backup software can prevent Postbox from saving preferences, folder permissions issues on disk can prevent Postbox from being able to save messages, etc.
The easiest way to trouble-shoot these types of issues is to setup a new OS user account to see if the problems persist.
1) Create a new user account on your Operating System (please refer to your OS user manual for instructions)
2) Download and install Postbox.
3) Next, set up a sample IMAP account. Do NOT install any Add-ons!
If the issues go away with the new OS user account, then you most likely have a disk permissions problem, or a third party application or utility that is interferring with Postbox's operation.